how to make a works cited page in alphabetical order on word
Then follow the instructions in the Windows tab.
Under Sort by, select Paragraphs.
The wikiHow Tech Team also followed the article’s instructions and verified that they work.
Last Updated: January 18, 2020 Tested
As the MLA Handbook notes, titles should be alphabetized in works-cited lists “letter by letter, ignoring any initial A, An, or The or the equivalent in other languages” (115). Note, though, that the article should be retained at the start of the title:
MLA Handbook. 8th ed., Modern Language Association of America, 2016.
Once you paste your list of MLA citations into your document, correct these things if necessary :
- Your Works Cited page should appear at the end of the paper.
- Works Cited is centered 1 inch from the top of the page.
- Capitalize the first word of each title and all words in the title with the exception of the, at, to, in, a, etc.
- Double space the list, both between citations and within them.
- When a citation has more than one line, use a hanging indent. To do this, indent the second line, and every line thereafter, to the right five spaces.
- Alphabetize the entire list by the first word of each citation. This may be the author’s last name or the first word in a title.
- If two or more citations are by the same author, only include the name in the first entry. Thereafter, in place of the name, type three hyphens, followed by a period and the title. Arrange the works listed under the same name in order alphabetically by title.