how to index work cited mla format
Finished your assignment? Use this checklist to be sure you haven’t missed any information needed for MLA style.
This sample paper includes a sample assignment page with example of how to include your student information and a Works Cited list in MLA format.
New York City, Marriage Indexes, 1907-1995. Ancestry, 1997-2018, www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/71574598/
Follow the MLA format template. Say, for example, you wish to cite a marriage index on Ancestry as your source for the date of a person’s marriage. List the title of the index as the title of the source, Ancestry as the container, the copyright date of the site (since no publication date is given for the marriage index), and the URL where the index is located. As always, key your in-text citation to the first element of the entry:
Trier, James. “‘Cool’ Engagements with YouTube: Part 2.” Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy 50.7 (2007): 598-603. JSTOR. Web. 16 Oct. 2014.
Database – A structured, electronic collection that may contain full-text articles, abstracts, data, and citations. Databases typically require a subscription to access.
- Select the source type listed at the left of this page, then
- Click the tabs on the top such as general rules, one author, two authors, etc. to see the details.
Or, click the following links within the site index below:
Mendeley will create an index of all the materials you’ve referenced and style the list according to the Citation Style you have active.
Position the cursor where you want the bibliography to appear and press the ‘Insert Bibliography’ button on the plugin toolbar. Depending on the number of citations in the document, this process may take a few seconds to complete.
When you are allowed to choose a citation style, use these guidelines:
Style manuals go beyond listing how to format a citation to a source. They establish standards for consistency in writing: grammar, punctuation, and layout. They discuss how to present tables and figures, how to format headings and page numbers, which words to capitalize or abbreviate, and what nomenclature to use in a field.
Some of the information needed to properly cite a web site may include:
- Name of Web Page Creator (If Given)
- TIP: Put screen names, usernames, etc. in Last Name, and leave First Name blank.
- Title of the Web Site
- Date of Last Update (If Given)
- Name of Any Organization Associated With Web Site (If Given)
- Date you Looked at the Web Site
- Web Site’s URL (Network Address)
The Website Document is for citing a specific document, article or page that is posted on the website.
Calvin Students: For more help on citing your item in this format, contact a Reference Librarian
Notice: As of the 7th edition of the MLA Handbook, including URLs is generally not recommended.
- Name of the author, compiler, director, editor, narrator, performer, or translator of the work.
- Title of the work (italicized if the work is independent; in quotation marks if it is part of a larger work).
- Title of the overall website – italicized (if distinct from item 2),
- Publisher or sponsor of the site,
- Date of publication (day, month, and year as available),
- Date of access (this is considered the version you used, especially important if no date can be found for the website)
MLA Web Site Citation
Web sites do not include subscription databases
Creating a Works Cited using MLA 8th edition is straightforward once you understand what MLA calls “core elements” and “containers.”
Core elements are facts common to most works, such as author and title. These are the core elements for each entry in the order they should be listed and with the proper punctuation.
Our maths advisors, academic skills consultants and librarians can advise you on:
The Academic Skills Centre provides one-to-one help, advice and online resources for University of Leicester undergraduate and masters students.